Virtually all companies, authorities and organizations rely on digital technologies to make their processes more efficient and remain competitive. Experts in digitization occupy an indispensable position here. In this article you will learn everything about the job as an expert for digitization in Germany.
What does an expert in digitization do?
Experts in digitization focus on implementing changes in workflow by incorporating digital technologies and processes into an organization’s existing operations. By doing so, they aim to increase efficiency, improve collaboration, and enhance decision-making capabilities. Their work involves several key aspects:
- Process Automation: Digitization experts analyze and identify repetitive, manual tasks within an organization’s workflow and implement automated solutions, such as robotic process automation (RPA), to reduce human intervention and increase efficiency.
- Data Integration: Integrating various data sources and systems is a crucial aspect of digitization. Experts in this field work on creating seamless data flow between different platforms, enabling better access to information and more informed decision-making.
- Cloud Migration: Digitization specialists help organizations transition their data, applications, and infrastructure to cloud-based environments, offering enhanced scalability, flexibility, and cost-effectiveness.
- Collaboration Tools: Implementing digital collaboration tools, such as project management software and communication platforms, allows organizations to streamline teamwork, improve communication, and track project progress more effectively.
- Analytics and Reporting: Digitization experts introduce advanced analytics and reporting tools that enable organizations to leverage their data, gain valuable insights, and make data-driven decisions, ultimately leading to better business outcomes.
- Training and Support: As part of the digitization process, experts provide training and support to employees, ensuring they are equipped with the necessary skills to adapt to new technologies and digital workflows.
- Cybersecurity: With increased reliance on digital technologies, maintaining robust security measures becomes paramount. Digitization professionals work closely with cybersecurity teams to ensure that the implemented solutions and processes are secure and compliant with relevant regulations.
By focusing on these aspects, digitization experts drive digital transformation within organizations, helping them stay competitive, agile, and innovative in today’s rapidly evolving technological landscape.
Where do you work as an expert in digitization?
As an expert in digitization, you can work in many different industries and companies. Experts in the IT sector, management consultancies and industry are particularly in demand. Experts for digitization are also needed in authorities and public institutions. Companies in Germany that employ a particularly large number of experts in digitization include, for example, Accenture, IBM and SAP.
The exact number of experts for digitization in Germany is difficult to quantify, as it is a relatively new and fast-growing field. According to a study by the industry association Bitkom from 2021, however, more than half a million people already work in the IT industry in Germany, which also includes experts for digitization.
What exactly do you do as an expert in digitization?
A typical task for an expert in digitization could be the introduction of new software in a company. First, the expert would have to analyze the existing processes and collect the requirements of the employees. Based on this information, he would then have to select a suitable software and plan the introduction. In doing so, he would have to ensure that the software meets the requirements of the employees and can be integrated into the existing IT infrastructure. He would then have to train the employees and accompany the rollout of the software. During the entire process, the expert would have to ensure that the introduction of the software runs smoothly and that there are no failures or problems.
In order to successfully implement a new software, an expert in digitization would have to take the following steps:
- Analysis of existing processes and employee requirements.
- Selection of suitable software and verification of compatibility with the existing IT infrastructure.
- Creation of an implementation concept and a training plan.
- Training of employees and support of the rollout.
- Monitor operations and resolve any issues.
How much do you earn as an expert in digitization?
The salary of a digitization expert depends on various factors, such as professional experience, industry and company size. According to Stepstone’s salary analysis, the average salary of a digitization expert in Germany in 2021 was around 62,000 euros gross per year.
How do you become an expert in digitization?
There are different ways to become an expert in digitization. One possibility is to study computer science, business informatics or a related subject. An apprenticeship as an IT specialist can also be a good entry into the field of digitization. Above all, it is important to continuously educate yourself and familiarize yourself with the latest technologies and trends.
Is it possible to become an expert in digitization with dual vocational training?
Yes, even with dual vocational training you can become an expert in digitization. One possibility, for example, is training as an IT specialist for application development or system integration in combination with further training as an expert in digitization.
Do you have to have studied for this activity?
No, you don’t necessarily have to have studied to become an expert in digitization. However, a degree in computer science, business informatics or a related subject can be a good introduction to the field of digitization. The duration of the study depends on the chosen field of study and is usually between six and eight semesters.
Is there a dual course of study that prepares you specifically for working as an expert in digitization?
Yes, there are various dual study programs that prepare you specifically for working as an expert in digitization. Examples of this are the dual course of study in Business Informatics or the dual course of study in Digital Transformation. In addition to the theoretical basics, practical experience is also imparted in these degree programmes.
Is a job as an expert in digitization suitable for a lateral entry?
In principle, working as an expert in digitization is also suitable for lateral entry. In this case, however, it is important to deal intensively with the latest technologies and trends and to educate yourself accordingly. Practical experience in this area is also very important in order to be successful as a career changer.
What personal requirements do you need for this job?
In order to become an expert in digitization, analytical thinking, a high affinity for IT as well as communication and teamwork skills are particularly important. Flexibility, quick comprehension and the ability to understand complex relationships are also an advantage in this area. Above all, you should have sound knowledge in the areas of IT, digitization and process optimization.
Experience in the selection and implementation of software solutions as well as knowledge in data analysis are also an advantage. As an expert in digitization, it is also important to have good communication and teamwork skills as well as a high degree of flexibility. Assertiveness, analytical skills and problem-solving skills are of great importance in this area.
Questions and answers
How does digitization impact customer experience?
Digitization can greatly enhance customer experience by offering personalized interactions, faster response times, and improved access to information. This allows organizations to better understand and cater to their customers’ needs, ultimately resulting in increased customer satisfaction and loyalty.
What industries can benefit from digitization?
Virtually all industries can benefit from digitization, as it can streamline operations, improve collaboration, and enable data-driven decision-making. Some industries that have seen significant transformation through digitization include healthcare, finance, manufacturing, and retail.
How does digitization contribute to environmental sustainability?
Digitization can contribute to environmental sustainability by reducing paper consumption, lowering energy usage, and optimizing resource management. Additionally, digital technologies can help monitor and analyze environmental data, enabling better decision-making and proactive measures to reduce ecological impacts.
What role does change management play in digitization projects?
Change management is crucial in digitization projects, as it helps organizations navigate the challenges associated with adopting new technologies and processes. Effective change management involves clear communication, employee training, and ongoing support to ensure a smooth transition and minimize resistance to change.
What are some common challenges organizations face during digitization?
Common challenges during digitization include resistance to change, lack of skilled personnel, budget constraints, and ensuring cybersecurity. Addressing these challenges requires careful planning, effective communication, and ongoing support for employees.
How can organizations measure the success of their digitization efforts?
Organizations can measure the success of their digitization efforts by tracking key performance indicators (KPIs), such as cost savings, increased efficiency, improved customer satisfaction, and enhanced collaboration. Regular evaluation and adjustment of these KPIs can help organizations optimize their digitization strategies and achieve desired outcomes.
What is the role of digital natives in the digitization process?
Digital natives, or individuals who have grown up with digital technology, can play a significant role in the digitization process by offering unique perspectives, skills, and expertise. Their familiarity with digital tools and technologies can help drive innovation and accelerate digital transformation within organizations.
How can organizations maintain data privacy during digitization?
Maintaining data privacy during digitization requires implementing robust security measures, such as encryption and access controls, as well as adhering to data protection regulations, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Regular security assessments and employee training can also help mitigate potential risks.
How do digitization and digital transformation differ?
Digitization refers to the process of converting analog information into digital formats, while digital transformation is a broader concept that encompasses the organizational, cultural, and operational changes resulting from the adoption of digital technologies. Digitization is often a key component of a larger digital transformation strategy.
Can digitization lead to job loss or job creation?
While digitization can potentially lead to job losses in certain roles due to automation, it can also create new job opportunities in areas such as data analytics, cybersecurity, and digital marketing. By investing in employee training and skill development, organizations can help their workforce adapt to the evolving job market.
What are the career prospects?
The career prospects for experts in digitization are very good in Germany and worldwide. The reason for this is that digitization is becoming increasingly important in almost all industries and areas. Companies are therefore looking for qualified specialists who can help them with digitization.
Advancing digitization is opening up many new fields of work and job profiles. Experts in digitization are more in demand than ever, as they have the necessary expertise to drive digitization in companies and organizations. The demand for these skilled workers will continue to increase in the future, as digitization plays an increasingly important role in the world of work.
Not only in Germany, but worldwide, the career prospects for experts in digitization are very good. Digitization affects almost all areas and industries and thus also opens up international career opportunities. The increasing use of digital technologies and solutions results in new demands on the world of work, which experts in digitization can meet through their skills. Those who decide to pursue a career in the field of digitization can expect good job prospects both nationally and internationally.
What are the chances for international applicants?
The chances for international applicants to work as experts in digitization in Germany are generally good. In particular, large companies and corporations are often looking for employees with an international background and experience in the field of digitization. However, an important prerequisite is that applicants have sufficient knowledge of German, as communication with colleagues and customers usually takes place in German.
Another factor that plays a role when applying as an international applicant is the presence of specific knowledge and experience. This can be, for example, expertise in certain technologies or industries. Through sound training or appropriate professional experience, applicants can improve their chances on the job market.
However, there are also some challenges that international applicants should consider when pursuing a career in the field of digitization in Germany. This includes, for example, the recognition of foreign educational qualifications and qualifications. The application process can also be difficult due to the cultural differences between the country of origin and Germany. Targeted preparation for the application process and gaining experience in the German labour market can help to increase the chances of a successful career as an expert in digitisation in Germany.
Alternatives to the profession of an expert in digitization are, for example:
- Data Analyst: Data analysts collect, process, and interpret data to help organizations make informed decisions, identify trends, and optimize processes.
- Business Intelligence Analyst: Business intelligence analysts use data to provide actionable insights and recommendations to organizations, helping them improve their operations, identify opportunities, and make strategic decisions.
- IT Project Manager: IT project managers oversee the planning, execution, and completion of technology projects, ensuring that project objectives are met on time and within budget while managing risks and resources effectively.
- Software Developer: Software developers design, create, and maintain software applications and systems, working closely with other IT professionals to ensure seamless integration and optimal performance of these solutions.
- Cloud Architect: Cloud architects design, implement, and manage an organization’s cloud computing infrastructure, helping businesses transition to cloud-based environments and optimize their use of cloud resources.
- IT Consultant: IT consultants offer expertise and guidance to organizations on various aspects of technology implementation, such as infrastructure, software development, security, and digital transformation strategies.